Thursday, December 20, 2007

Campaign for Gender Balance blog awards

James Graham's blog is down for maintenance, but I have a vague feeling that he tagged me with a meme about the Campaign for Gender Balance blog awards. I can't remember what else I was supposed to do, but I have at least linked to them.

If I am honest, the idea that women need special awards to encourage them to blog makes me a little uneasy. Doesn't this just position them as the weaker sex?

Besides, the two most influential voices among the group of us who now host the BritBlog Roundup are the female bloggers who write Philobiblon and Redemption Blues.

3 comments:

James Graham (Quaequam Blog!) said...

Website now back up. Just.

"Doesn't this just position them as the weaker sex?"

I don't think that's fair. The purpose of the awards is simply to raise the profile of women bloggers. I don't see how this is positioning them as "weaker" any more than having an elected politicians section in the LDV awards positions them as somehow inferior.

The relevant post regarding the meme is here: http://www.theliberati.net/quaequamblog/2007/12/20/blog-awards/

Matt Wardman said...

>two most influential voices among the group of us who now host the BritBlog Roundup are the female bloggers who write Philobiblon and Redemption Blues.

Oi. Sexist.

Matt Wardman said...

vbg